I Can! Drive: Adult Driver Education - Session A
Check-in: Sunday, June 9: 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Check-out: Saturday, June 21: noon
In Texas, adults 18-24 years old, may complete a Texas Adult Driver's Education (ADE) course before getting a driver's license.
This 100% communication accessible I Can! Drive program for Texas adults with certified driving instructors using American Sign Language, includes 6 hours of classroom instruction, and no behind-the-wheel training requirements. (Some driving practice to visit local attractions may be provided along with our I Can! Drive ADE course, if time permits.)
Interpreters are provided for participants preferring oral instruction or other modes of communication.
Participants will also learn proper automobile and tire maintenance, the availability of alternative transportation methods, and how to plan trips using public transportation.
In order to obtain a Texas Driver’s License, participants must:
- Attend both full weeks of instruction to complete all course hours;
- Pass a written exam, and
- Pass a vision screening at the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- Participation in the ADE course does not guarantee that each participant will pass the required tests to receive their adult driver’s license.
- There will be no refunds, and neither the Educational Resource Center on Deafness or Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) is responsible for participants who do not pass the required tests.
- Participants must bring with them:
- A current vision exam, and
- Any prescribed glasses or contacts for the vision screening at the Texas DPS.
All participants are assumed to be staying the night on campus during the duration of the program unless we are notified otherwise during the registration period. The legal guardian will be responsible for dropping off and picking up participants at 8:00 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., respectively.
$450 per participant. Participants staying during the weekends between different specialty programs will be charged an extra fee of $75.00 per weekend. Financial Aid available, first come first serve.
What to bring? (coming soon)
We have a few slots left in this program. Please contact Rachella Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about how to register for this program.