Additional Resources for Texas Mental Health Initiative for Deaf Youth
Understanding Mental Health
- Introduction to Mental Illnesses
- National Alliance on Mental Health Illness. (n.d.). Mental Health Conditions.
- World Health Organization. (1992). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders: Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines.
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission: Behavioral Health Resource Guide
- Communication Skills Assessment
- Mental Status Exam
- Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence and Patient- and Family-Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals.
- Texas Privacy Practices
Deaf Individuals and Mental Health
- Mental Health Services for People who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- National Association of School Psychologists Position Statement: Serving Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- National Association of the Deaf: Position Statement on State Mental Health Coordinators Serving Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals.
- National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors: Trauma in the Deaf Population: Definition, Experience and Services.
- The National Coalition on Mental Health and Deaf Individuals
- National Deaf Center: Deaf individuals and access to mental health care for trauma
- ADARA Update: Professionals networking for excellence in service delivery with individuals who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Neil Glickman, Publications [Language Deprivation and Deaf Mental Health; Deaf Mental Health Care; and More]
Articles / Presentations
- Addressing Mental Health Crisis in the Deaf Community
- Bringing Mental Health Care for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Populations into the 21st Century
- National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors: Articles related to deaf individuals.
- Nurturing Resilience In the Face of Hearing Loss
- Mental Health of Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Adolescents: What the Students Say
- Fellinger, J., Holzinger, D., & Pollard, R. (2012). Mental health of deaf people. Lancet, 379, 1037–1044. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61143-4. Retrieved from http://www.mhit.org/assets/Mental_health_of_deaf_people.pdf
- Kvam, M., Loeb, M. & Tambs, K. (2007). Mental health in deaf adults: Symptoms of anxiety and depression among hearing and deaf individuals. The Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 12 (1), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1093/deafed/enl015
- Fall 2018 RID Literature Sneak Peek: Language Deprivation and Deaf Mental Health by Neil Glickman, Ph.D., and Wyatte Hall, Ph.D.; translated by Joshua Mora
- Glickman, N. (2007). Do You Hear Voices? Problems in Assessment of Mental Status in Deaf Persons With Severe Language Deprivation. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education Advance Access.
- Crump, C and Hamerdinger, S. (2017). Understanding Etiology of Hearing Loss as a Contributor to Language Dysfluency and its Impact on Assessment and Treatment of People who are Deaf in Mental Health Settings. Springer Science + Business Media.
- Pollard, R. Q. (1998). Psychopathy. In M. Marschark & D. Clark (Eds). Psychology perspective on deafness. Volume 2 (pp. 171-197). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, Inc.
- Suicide Prevention Awareness by Office of Deaf Services at the Alabama Department of Mental Health
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline offers live chat or TTY (800-799-4889) or call counseling line (800-273-8255)
- Suicide Prevention Information
Interpreting in Mental Health
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf: Standard Practice Paper on Interpreting in Mental Health Settings.
- National Association of the Deaf: Position Statement on Mental Health Interpreting Services with People who are Deaf.
- Domains and Competencies for Interpreting in Mental Health Settings
- Alabama's Mental Health Interpreter Training Project
- CATIE - Center Behavioral and Mental Health Interpreting
- Hamerdinger, S. and Karlin, B. - Therapy Using Interpreters.
- Harvey, M. (2002). Shielding Yourself From the Perils of Empathy: The Case of Sign Language Interpreters. Oxford University Press.
- Dean, R. (2014). Condemned to repetition? An analysis of problem-setting and problem-solving in sign language interpreting ethics. The International Journal for Translating and Interpreting Research 6 (1).