Statewide Parent Liaisons connect families to the resources, programs or people, who can best address your needs. This program is offered by the Educational Resource Center on Deafness at Texas School for the Deaf.
Meet the team ...
Shelly Bergeron and María Muñiz
Statewide Parent Liaisons work on your behalf to:
- Provide information, resources, and training to parents with children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Promote parent support organizations, their work with families, and their collaboration with agencies working with deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Coordinate annual Family Weekend Retreats.
- Coordinate Parent/Professional Workshops at biennial Statewide Conference on Deaf Education.
- Represent the parent perspective on various stakeholder groups and agencies in the state and nation with the goal of improving services to families.
Each team member has something to share:
- Shelly brings her experiences as a parent of deaf children and her resulting experience in deaf education.
- Maria brings her experience in deaf education, as well as her cultural knowledge and Spanish speaking skills to serve Hispanic families
- If you would like more information, contact Shelly at (512) 462-5447 (Voice) or email@example.com.
Hispanic Family Liaison:
Please refer any Spanish-speaking families with deaf or hard of hearing children to María Muñiz, Hispanic Family Liaison, at 512-743-7972 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Para mayores informes, favor de comunicarse con María Muñiz, enlace de familias hispanas al 512-743.7972 o por correo electrónico: email@example.com.
The Hispanic Family Liaison works with Spanish speaking families to:
- Answer emails and phone calls related to questions about the education of deaf and hard of hearing students in Texas.
- Promote family participation in the education of their deaf or hard of hearing children by offering resources and information about programs, conferences, workshops, and trainings.
- Facilitate understanding of parent support groups in the state of Texas and connect them to Spanish speaking representatives.
For more information in Spanish, see Ayuda en Español Hispanic Parent Liaison.